Role: Community Engagement Coordinator
Massy Arts Society and Massy Books
23 East Pender, Vancouver BC
Massy Arts Society (MAS) and Massy Books seeks a permanent, Community Engagement Coordinator beginning as soon as possible (earliest start date: August 16th, 2021). In addition to a knowledge, experience, and enthusiasm for working within the literary and visual arts, the successful candidate ideally will have demonstrated a success in digital communications, event management, and grant writing. This posting will stay up until position is filled.
Note: This position will require the successful candidate to work in-person in a public art gallery setting (with COVID protocols established). Masks will be required when the public is present.
Weekly Hours: 30 hours total per week, with 20-25 hours going towards Massy Arts Society, and 5-10 towards Massy Books.
Schedule: The successful candidate will be responsible for opening and closing the gallery on select days of the week (TBD). The position will require evening and weekend work as events arise.
Wage: The successful candidate will be compensated at a starting wage of $20/hr.
Benefits: The successful candidate will be on Massy Books’ payroll. Upon the completion of a successful 3-month probation period, they will be eligible for benefits.
Roles and Responsibilities
The successful candidate will be responsible for tasks in the following areas:
Events & Programming
- Working with partners (publishers, authors, artists, etc) to develop and execute in-person (as COVID-19 restrictions permit) and online events;
- Consultation with the MAS Board to select, organize, and showcase the work of emerging artists;
- Assist in the procurement of funds for continued programming through grant writing, partnership, and sponsorship opportunities;
- Recruit, onboard, and oversee the work of volunteers for gallery minding and events;
- Be present at the gallery during opening hours. This will require that the candidate work alone for hours at a time.
- Maintain and expand current social media presence of MAS and Massy Books;
- Create and distribute monthly newsletters through Mailchimp;
- Respond to and seek out media opportunities to highlight the work of both MAS and Massy Books;
- Create (design and write) marketing and communications material as required, including but not limited to: author and book highlights, article features and interviews, artist and exhibition highlights;
- Maintain both MAS and Massy Books websites (WordPress).
Administration and Organizational Development
- Support the MAS Board in seeking out and secure financial stability including project grants that will directly support the practices of underrepresented artists and authors, including, but not limited to, practitioners who identify as BIPOC, LGBTQ2S+, D/deaf, D/disabled.
- Be invited to meaningfully contribute and shape the direction of the organization.
The successful applicant will have demonstrated experience curating and coordinating exhibitions, planning and hosting events, overseeing digital communications, working effectively as a team and independently. A demonstrated engagement with local artistic practices and a working knowledge of WordPress are considered assets.
About Massy Arts Society
Massy Arts operates as a multi-disciplinary arts society that seeks to create a welcoming community invested in acts of care, radical futurisms, and coming together. We view artistic and writing practices as anchors to our day to day understanding of the world, and hope to build a platform where these practices are uplifted and celebrated.
Our programming is extensive in its multiple forms. We situate our work in a sense of community developed through exhibitions, workshops, book launches, readings and more.
Massy Arts seeks to galvanize community spirit by providing a space where readers, writers, and artists can come together.
We acknowledge we operate on the traditional, ancestral, unceded, and occupied territory of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and sel̓íl̓witulh (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations.
The gallery space will be wheelchair accessible and scent-reduced.
About Massy Books
Massy Books is an entirely Indigenous, woman owned independent bookstore located in Vancouver’s Chinatown. We carry new, used, rare, and collectible books and prioritize local, racialized, and underrepresented authors.
How to Apply
We will begin the interview process immediately. Interested applicants are encouraged to send a resume and short statement of no more than 300 words to both Patricia at email@example.com and Emily at firstname.lastname@example.org. In your statement, please outline your approach to curating and your priorities when it comes to community engagement.
Only shortlisted applicants will be invited to interview. Interviews will commence August 9th, 2021 and take place over Zoom. If you have any accessibility requirements for the interview or employment position, please let us know in your application.